“Promoting small business growth and community development in northeastern Pennsylvania.”
MetroAction is a non-profit community development organization dedicated to providing small business loans and business development assistance throughout northeastern Pennsylvania (NEPA).
Since 1997, MetroAction has been committed to providing flexible small business loans to start-up and expanding small businesses. Our team has closed over $6 million in loans and provided thousands of hours of counseling to businesses located in northeastern Pennsylvania.
MetroAction is more than just a lender. Our team works hand-in-hand with our loan applicants and borrowers to provide the support needed to grow strong, thriving businesses in our community.
We are one of the only non-profit organizations in northeastern Pennsylvania authorized to provide microloans to small businesses through the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and through the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). We are certified by the United States Department of Treasury and accredited by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI).
Formed in 1977 to revitalize the local community, MetroAction is now a leading Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) that provides loans, training and counseling to help build small businesses throughout nine counties in NEPA.
Our Board of Directors is committed to meeting the needs of the local communities that we serve. Whether your business is in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Honesdale, the Poconos, Milford, Stroudsburg, Jim Thorpe, Pottsville, Hazleton or the many other communities in our service area, MetroAction’s programs can help you start smart and grow strong.
Learn more about what MetroAction is doing today in our Annual Report.
Our History and Accomplishments
Since its start in 1977, MetroAction has been a catalyst for community development in NEPA. Some of our key accomplishments include:
- 2013MetroAction receives recertification as a CDFI through 2018
- 2012Luzerne County Small Business Loan Program Established.
- 2009MetroAction is certified as an Area Loan Organization for the PA Department of Community and Economic Development’s Small Business First Loan Program.
- 2007MetroAction becomes a certified lender through the U.S Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) rural lending program.
- 2002MetroAction received 501 ( c ) (3) non-profit designation from the Internal Revenue Service.
- 1999MetroAction is certified by the U.S. Treasury Department as a CDFI.
- 2014MetroAction surpasses $6 million in lending to small businesses in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
- 2012MetroAction surpasses $5 million in lending to small businesses in Northeastern PA.
- 2011MetroAction named administrator of $4 Million Loan Fund to aid businesses impacted by Tropical Storm Lee and Hurricane Irene.
- 2008MetroAction’s lending portfolio exceeds 2.5 million.
- 2004MetroAction received its state accreditation as a CDFI by the Pennsylvania Community Development Bank. MetroAction is certified as a Technical Assistance Provider for the SBA’s Community Express Loan Program.
- 2000MetroAction is certified by the U.S. Small Business Administration as a micro-lender.
- 1997The MicroLoan Program is established.
Federally certified by the U.S. Department of Treasury, CDFI Fund
State accredited by the PA Department of Community and Economic Development
Certified by the U.S. Small Business Administration as microlender
Certified by the U.S. Small Business Administration as a technical assistance provider
Certified by the U.S. Department of Agriculture as a microlender
Member of the Association for Enterprise Opportunity
Member of the following Chambers of Commerce:
Lehigh Valley Chamber of Commerce
Carbondale Chamber of Commerce
Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce
Greater Wilkes-Barre Chamber of Business and Industry
The Greater Hazleton Chamber of Commerce
Pittston Chamber of Commerce
Greater Pocono Chamber of Commerce
The Chamber of the Northern Poconos
Pike County Chamber of Commerce
Schuylkill Chamber of Commerce
Wyoming County Chamber of Commerce